So, as I mentioned in my last post – this time last year – I’ve been at this a long time. This is year 33. I’ve consistently said that, when I stopped having fun, I’d leave. Well, last year I didn’t have my normal crazy amount of fun. There were moments of joy. I seriously love teaching but I was like this the majority of the year. Running like crazy and completely overwhelmed!
Now, I really can’t blame anyone but myself. You see, I have a problem – several actually.
- I love to learn – so I tend to say YES to anything that remotely interests me. Seriously… I’m crazy like that.
- I like to help – so anytime there seems to be something that needs to be done I decide to do it.
- I’m a perfectionist – so I can’t do anything halfway. Which is also why I can only seem to write one blog post a year.
Now the question is, if I said I would leave when I wasn’t having fun anymore, why am I coming back? Well I just can’t leave on a bad note. I need to retire on my own terms and when I feel like its time. Its not yet.
So, my goals for this year really aren’t much different than the were last year. Hopefully I’ll be more successful.
- Do MUCH less – now there is a certain amount that has to be done but not every lesson has to be a day in Disney World. Not everything has to be perfect and I don’t need to revise something just for the sake of revising it.
- When I have a choice, do ONLY what fills my SOUL – I’m cutting out those things that I felt burdened by last year.
- And give myself the GRACE to be ok with saying No. I can’t say it better than @mathequalslove said it in her post (please read it …it really says it all…My ONE GOAL for the 2017-2018 School Year.)
I’m hoping those goals will lead me back to what I love – collaborating with my colleagues and loving and teaching my kids. I’m counting on all my friends to hold me accountable! Help me out – PLEASE!!